Thursday, March 26, 2009

Smell My Feet

*** Update: I finally found it - to read the story, click here. ***

Are you kidding me with this?

I was watching the Early Show this morning and they did a story about this “study” that’s been done that shows that women who are taking the birth control pill can “choose the wrong mate” because the pill messes up their sense of smell. Basically, what this lady said was that if you’re on the pill while you’re looking for a mate, once you get ready to have kids and get off of the pill or if you change methods of birth control, your mate may not smell good to you any more. Then the anchor (who prior to this I had really liked) said “Yeah, I hear of women who, when their marriage is over, say ‘I just don’t like the way he smells anymore’.” That’s got to be the most absurd thing I’ve ever heard. Really, if this were grounds for divorce, every time a husband came in from mowing the yard (or playing a marathon round of golf in 100 degree weather), women would be serving them with divorce papers. If people are believing this garbage, it’s no wonder our families are in such sad shape.

I’m not saying that the pill doesn’t mess up your sense of smell - that’s not my area of expertise. I just think that for this woman to get on TV and presume to tell women that they need to not be on the pill when they’re choosing a mate because they may “choose the wrong one” is ridiculous.

The link to the story/video is not on the Early Show website yet but when it is, I’ll post it here so you can see for yourself. Maybe I misunderstood but we’ll see…

No comments:

Post a Comment